The purpose of training students in the study program Science and Engineering of Oxide and Nanomaterials (SIMONa) is to provide them with quality engineering training in the fields of ceramic materials, glass, binders, composites, nanomaterials and nanobiomaterials, both under the aspect of optimizing the technological parameters for the manufacture of such high-performance materials, as well as the aspect of their complex characterization, with the use of modern, high-resolution techniques.
Acquired skills and abilities
The study program aims to achieve educational objectives such as:
- quality training, which provides graduates with engineering skills in the production of high-utility or high-performance materials, in accordance with the requirements of society, including environmental implications;
- ensuring the capacity to understand and achieve correlations between the technological parameters of obtaining and processing, the compositional-structural characteristics and the properties imposed for different materials, by the use functions to which they must correspond;
- ensuring skills in the design and processing of oxide and derivative materials: ceramics, glass, binders, composite materials etc.;
- ensuring the ability to perform complex engineering calculations related to the field of materials science with the help of specialized software;
- ensuring competences regarding the processing and interpretation of data in the field with the help of specific software packages;
- ensuring the skills of working in multidisciplinary teams, with the optimal capitalization of knowledge, regarding the realization and characterization of materials, by using modern, high-performance techniques;
- ensuring the capacity to formulate engineering solutions, opportune in different situations, to assume the professional responsibility for their impact in certain fields of activity;
- awareness of graduates about the need for permanent accumulation, renewal and update of knowledge, throughout the activity.
Our graduates can work in:
- companies in the cement, lime, ceramics, glass, medical and medicine industries, testing laboratories, factory laboratories, concrete stations, aggregates, etc. The related industries are all privately owned, many of which belong to multinational companies that offer attractive employment and professional development opportunities;
- research institutes that carry out their activity in directions that include chemistry, physics, materials science, microtechnology, nanotechnology, students mastering extensive knowledge related to methods of synthesis, processing and characterization of materials.
There are cases in which our graduates build a small / medium production business or specialize through bachelor's, master's and doctoral studies to optimize their own business.
Our students already come into contact with the research / production activity during the technological practice, which is carried out in partnership with economic agents - factories and research institutes in Bucharest and in the country.
Further professional development of graduation
SIMONa graduates can choose to specialize in master's studies, either in the four programs organized by the department: Science and Engineering of Advanced Oxide Materials and Nanomaterials, Advanced Composite Materials with Special Purposes, Micro and Nanomaterials, Applications of Chemistry in Legal Expertise, or any another master's program.
After graduating a master's program, professional development can continue through doctoral studies; the department is carrying out the activity of eight doctoral supervisors in the field of Chemical Engineering.
Human resources and logistics for student education
The program is supervised by Department of Science and Engineering of Oxide Materials and Nanomaterials.
The SIMONa department includes teachers with a high professional competence, acquired in many years of teaching and research, who continue the tradition of the School of Chemistry and Silicate Technology, founded over 50 years ago by Professor Șerban Solacolu.
The teaching staff is concerned with the promotion of scientific research, technological development and educational innovation programs, carried out through national or international cooperation. There are currently partnerships with prestigious universities in France, Germany, the Netherlands.
The material base of the department allows the realization of a professional training at European level and accumulates state-of-the-art endowments and equipment, worth over 3 million euros.
Curricula for this bachelor's degree program is available here.
1st year and 2nd year
3rd year and 4th year