For deepening/For advanced research
It is designed for the graduates of the University Politehnica of Bucharest, Faculty of Applied Chemistry and Materials Science, specialized in Environmental Engineering in the Chemical and Petrochemical Industry, as well as graduates of similar Bachelor’s degrees organized by the University Politehnica of Timisoara, Technical University ‘Gh. Asachi’ - Iasi, University Transilvania - Brasov, University Sapientia – Miercurea Ciuc.
The postgraduate degree ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING offers advanced studies in the field, educating students to become true specialists, able to
- apply the basic chemical, physical-chemistry, mathematics and chemical engineering knowledge in modelling the chemical/photochemical/biochemical changes occurring in natural ecosystems and treatment processes,
- be familiar to pollutant generating technological processes,
- understand, prevent, and remedy pollution effects induced by anthropogenic activities,
- develop environmental politics at community level.
The disciplines in postgraduate degree ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING present environmental legislation, sampling techniques, design of air pollution control systems and advanced treatment systems for liquid effluents, electrochemical methods applied in environmental protection, chemical reactions engineering and optimization of water usage and recycling on industrial platforms, environmental risk assessment, environment management systems and life cycle analysis.
Skills and abilities acquired
- evaluation and remedy of harmful effects of pollution using an interdisciplinary approach,
- selection of analysis and control instruments according to the analysis objective and sample characteristics,
- identification and analysis of environmental impact for specific elements resulting from a chosen remediation technology,
- calculus and design skills in the area of equipment and installations used for gas purification, water and wastewater treatment,
- evaluation and selection of data carrying chemically significant information,
- completion of an environment impact evaluation (EEI), environmental risk assessment (ERA) using fundamental knowledge on life-cycle analysis (LCA),
- clear environmental hazard definition for toxic substances (hazard, biodegradability, bioaccumulation),
- identification of chemical and thermal hazard sources in an industrial installation and evaluation of major accidents risk indicators (according to the EU-SEVESO I, II, III directives)
The Master of Science in ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING runs in agreement with the requirements on the labour market and qualifications, and gives the young generation the possibility to adapt flexibly to the newly raised challenges.
There are different job opportunities:
- higher education,
- technological research and design,
- environment audit and consultancy companies,
- environment monitoring departments in private companies,
- administration – Environment Protection Agencies, Ministry of Environment, Environmental Guard),
- environmental oriented non-governmental organizations,
- specialization associated areas.
Further professional development of graduation
Graduates of the postgraduate program ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING are educated according to the labour market requirements, as proved through the abilities acquired at the end of the studies. Gradates of the MS program may chose to complete their education by a PhD degree.
Human resources and logistics for student education
The program is supervised by Department of Analytical Chemistry and Environmental Engineering.
Disciplines in the Education Plan are supported by academics holding professor, reader or lecturer positions, with a PhD degree in the field of the discipline they teach.
Practical applications and research are carried out in laboratories equipped according to the Education Plan, corresponding in terms of space and technical development. Equipments were purchased with the Education Ministry financial support and partially from research projects.
Curricula for this master of science degree program is available here.